Reading: Statement of Intent
The reading curriculum is suitably ambitious and covers the full range of objectives as detailed in the National Curriculum for Reading.
The overarching intent for Reading at Oakway Academy is to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. Oakway Academy aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- provide a rich and varied literary experience that broadens children’s reading experiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.